WHITE STAR APPLE AND ITS HEALTH BENEFITS (Agbaluma or Udara)
The white star apple is a dark yellowish fruit with semi- circular seeds, a popular seasonal fruit normally consumed with the flesh in the West Africa region. Botanically called chrysophyllum albidum, the fruit is mostly cultivated in the rural areas and is very common during the months of December to Aril. The fruit is mostly found in African countries like Nigeria, Cameroon, Cote d’ivorie, Uganda and Niger Republic. However, here in Nigeria the Yorubas and Igbos popularly refer to the white star apple as Agbaluma and Udara respectively. Africans pick this wonderful fruit on their way to the farm, during the era of our forefathers. Nowadays you get it from the market place, as it has become a source of income to the people mostly living in the rural areas.
During white star apple season, you will see both adult and children savoring the great taste of this indigenous fruit. Have you ever cared to know the health benefits of the white star apple? Anyway, in case you do not know, the fruit is highly nutritional and can help a lot in many ways. Below are some of the benefits of Agbaluma.
1. The bark of the tree, according to researchers, was used traditionally to treat yellow fever and malaria, while the leaf treated wounds, stomachache and diarrhea.
2. The Agbalumo/Udara is a natural remedy for toothache, constipation, sore throat and much more. Also in some parts of Nigeria, the seeds are used to treat virginal and skin infections.
3. White star apple has been suggested to contain more vitamin C than orange and guava; the fruit is also rich in calcium, iron potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, tannins, flavonoids, and phytochemicals.
4. When the Udara/Abalumo is consumed for its flesh, it can help lower blood sugar, control cholesterol, prevents and treats heart diseases.
5. The fruit is known to have anti-oxidant properties that help fight cancer and treat diabetes.