Did you know that using lemon juice or adding lemon with other ingredients can make your hair to grow faster and longer? How do you feel, while combing your hair and it keeps pulling off? While your friends and neighbors are having fuller and longer hair, yours is nothing to write home about. The rate at which your hair grows is genetic and normally grows at around a quarter to a half an inch every month. Long, strong, voluminous and luminous hair enhances your natural beauty by several folds. Here are some of the best easy to follow home remedies using lemon for hair growth. But Before that do you know what actually impedes natural hair growth? Hair fall and dandruff are the two major culprits for hair thinning. Unhealthy lifestyle, stress, improper sleep, prolonged illness, hard water, chemical hair styling products and shampoos, excessive use of hair dryers, genes and certain medications are some of the other factors that cause excessive hair fall.
Why Lemon for Hair Growth?
Lemons are the nature’s wonderful gift with versatile uses and benefits. These amazing citrus fruits are filled with several nutrients including vitamin C, magnesium, calcium and flavonoids making them great for healthy hair, skin and body. Here is why this small size yet incredible fruit can enhance hair growth.
1. Lemons are richest sources of vitamin C that help in making hair stronger and longer.
2. Fresh lemon juice stimulates hair growth besides strengthening the hair follicles.
3. Limonene, a compound found in lemon juice imparts shine to frizzy and dry hair.
4. The anti-fungal property of lemon juice combats dandruff causing fungus and also provides relief from other scalp infection.
5. The acidic property of lemon gently cleans away accumulated dust, dead cells and other unwanted deposits from scalp and hair.
6. Besides encouraging healthy hair growth, the refreshing smell of lemon leaves hair smelling sweet and good.
How to Use Lemon for Hair Growth?
1. Lemon Juice Hair Therapy: Applying lemon juice directly to scalp and hair is one of the best remedies for a clean dandruff free scalp to encourage healthy hair growth. Cut a ripe fresh juicy lemon into two pieces. Squeeze a fresh lemon juice on your scalp and hair. Message it for 5 to 10 minutes and allow for some minutes then rinse it with a mild shampoo. Do this once in a week.
2. Lemon Juice Rinse: Shampoo washes away dust, oil and other dirt from hair and scalp. But any traces of leftover shampoo after rinsing hair can damage hair follicles. Lemon juice rinse fully cleans hair to ensure no traces of shampoo are left behind. Squeeze juice of a lemon in ¼ bucket of water. Use the water to rinse your hair after shampooing.
3. Lemon Oil, Castor Oil and Olive Oil: Grow your hair faster by blending lemon oil with castor oil and olive oil. The essential fats and vitamins in olive oil will nourish your hair from the root to shaft whereas castor oil helps to develop longer, thicker and stronger hair. In a clean bowl mix warm olive oil, with ½ tablespoon of warm castor oil. Add 3 drops of pure essential lemon oil and mix well. Apply to hair and massage well for 10 minutes and leave overnight. Follow the lemon rinse in the morning to remove excess hair from the hair.
4.Anti-Dandruff Blend – Lemon Oil, Coconut and Camphor Oil: The antifungal property of these three oils makes a strong anti-dandruff blend. The cooling effect of camphor provides relief from itchy scalp. Mix warm coconut oil, lemon juice and camphor oil. Massage into hair and scalp for some minutes and leave overnight. The next morning wrap hair with a towel soaked in warm water for another 10 minutes, then wash with shampoo afterwards.
5. Lemon Juice and Coconut Water: The natural nutrients and minerals in fresh coconut water nourish the hair. You can also mix lemon juice and coconut water and use it as a last rinse on hair after you shampoo it.
6. Lemon and Aloe Vera: The anti-microbial, moisturizing and restoring property of aloe Vera cleans scalp, locks in natural hair moisture and accelerates hair growth. Mix aloe vera gel with lemon juice, apply on scalp and hair, and massage it with your fingers. Let it stand for some minutes before washing off.
7. Lemon Juice, Henna and Yogurt: This pack works as a natural hair conditioner and hair colour as well. Henna pack keeps the scalp clean and protects against any scalp infection.to ½ cup of henna powder, add lemon juice and yogurt. Mix the ingredients well to make a thick hair pack. Apply on hair and leave it for 30 minutes. Then follow up with a mild shampoo.
8.Lemon Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Egg: This protein is rich and deep moisturizing hair mask works to make thicker and stronger hair. Beat an egg with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and half lemon juice. Apply on hair and scalp. Allow the mixture to dry before washing with clean water. Repeat the process once a week.
9.Lemon Juice, Curry Leaves and Coconut Oil: This incredible mixture cleans scalp, moisturizes scalp and accelerates hair growth. Curry leaves are a great remedy for thick gorgeous hair. Add fresh curry leaves, coconut oil and lemon juice in a blender and blend. Apply on hair and leave for 15 minutes then wash off.
Tips & Precautions
Always choose fresh squeezed lemon juice over bottled version for the above remedies to reap the full benefits of lemon
Lemon juice gives best result when used in moderation. Due to its acidic nature, excessive use on hair can actually leave your hair follicles brittle.
Avoid using lemon juice on scalp with open wounds and cuts to prevent irritation.
The bleaching property of lemon tends to lighten hair. Hence if you concerned to maintain dark hair then do not leave the lemon mixture on hair for more than 10 minutes or avoid lemon remedy for hair.