Many people were killed and over 100 injured at the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) yesterday when a military fighter jet mistakenly opened fire on a camp in Rann village, Kala Balge local government area of Borno State.
Also among the casualties are aid workers of the Red Cross and Medecin Sans Frontiers (MSF), otherwise called Doctors without Borders.
The airstrike had been targeted at some elements of the Boko Haram sect who were said to be gathering around Kala Balge general area of the While the government authorities are yet to release the casualty figure from the incident.
Confirming the incident at a news conference held at the Theatre Command Headquarters of ‘Operation Lafiya Dole’, the theatre commander, Major General Lucky Irabor said that, upon receiving an intelligence report that some Boko Haram elements were regrouping in Kala Balge local government area of Borno State, he quickly ordered men of the Air Force to go and tackle the problem.
He expressed regret that in the strike conducted in the area, locals and other civilians were killed alongside remnants of insurgents who were regrouping.
Kala Balge is to the east of Borno, about 180 kilometres drive from Maiduguri, the state capital. President Muhammadu Buhari and Governor Kashim Shettima have both shown regret over the sad incident and urged medical personnel to treat the injured ones immediately.
Also the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, also expressed sadness over the incident. In a statement, extended his heartfelt condolence to the families of the victims and prayed God to comfort them. He also prayed for quick recovery for the injured. The Speaker further urged the military to investigate the incident so as to prevent future occurrence.
By: Pupwaya Timothy Dibal
- Many killed as suicide bomber attack Adamawa mosque
- Airlines resume flights as Abuja airport reopens
- EFCC intercepted N49 million at Kaduna airport
- 50-year-old man allegedly raped 15 months old girl in Bayelsa.
- Maitama Sule: Kano declares work-free day
- Man arrested in Ogun for allegedly raping 7-year-old girl
- ASUU Strike: Lecturers reach agreement with Nigerian government
- Petrol tanker crashes on Abuja-Lokoja express way, death toll said to be five
- Facts about the origin and spread of Boko Haram Insurgency (part one)
- Acts about the origin and spread of Boko Haram insurgency (Part one)
- In what ways do you think Nigerian Government can handle the problem of insecurity?
- Sports Minister Dalung loses wife
- Man, 50, docked for allegedly raping 9-year-old
- Former EFCC boss, Farida Waziri loses husband
- Atiku to emerge as new Waziri Adamawa, son takes over as Turakin
- Father arrested for serially raping own 13-year-old daughter
- Kidnapping: Nigeria’s Fastest Growing Crime
- Buhari suspends SGF, NIA boss
- Ambode Approves Death Penalty For Kidnappers
- Man arrested for raping friend’s 8-year-old daughter
- Man jailed 10 years for defiling 10-year-old girl.
- Rape of Minors: A Growing Menace
- 4 year old girl sold for N350, 000 recused
- 42-Year-Old Man Caught Having Sex with Goat in Katsina
- Police arrest man for cutting off penis of nine-month-old boy
- Facts about the origin and spread of Boko Haram Insurgency (part two)
- Aisha Pariya and Aliyu Boya
- UNICEF pledges $3.3b for children affected by conflicts in 2017
- The Argument For Buhari
- Ogbunike Caves: A Hidden Gem
- University of Maiduguri bomb blast: The school will not be closed says VC
- Buhari extends vacation, writes National Assembly
- Does the EFCC Chairman have the backing of the President?
- Babatunde Osotimehin, Former Minister of Health Is Dead
- The Impending Criminal Trial of Maryam Sanda over the Death of Bilyaminu Bello Halilu: The Legal Scenario
- Suspected ritualists wiped out family, take out pregnant woman’s unborn baby
- President Buhari Returns
- Breaking News: ASUU set for nationwide indefinite strike
- World Economics Declares Nigeria Out of Recession
- Elder Statesman Maitama Sule is Dead
- Eid El-Fitr Celebration: Muslims to look for new moon Saturday
- China Donates N60 Million to Aisha Buhari’s Project
- Aisha Buhari returns from UK, speaks about President’s health
- Drones kill 12 militants in Yemen
- Facts about the origin and spread of Boko Haram Insurgency (part three)
- Nigeria: A Once Vibrant Country Dwarfed by Criminals and Rogues
- LASSA FEVER OUT BREAK IN IMO STATE
- Apollo and Harmattan – All You Should Know
- Texting tips every girl needs to know
- Mambilla – The Coldest Plateau in Nigeria
- Dogara Trains 803 Women, Youth On Agriculture
- Mambilla – The Coldest Plateau in Nigeria
- Nigerian Governors and Housewives: A Comparative Analysis
- Eating for Beauty
- Sport News
- The First Lady Syndrome in Nigeria
- Nigeria to Succeed or to Fail is our Cup of Tea
- Take a tour to Delta State
- My Promiscuous wife
- 6 weird things men find attractive in women