The onion peels we use every day in our kitchen usually end up in the trash; but after reading the health benefits that onions peels can give you, you will think twice before tossing them into the garbage can.
Recent research confirms that the outer skins of onions provide an exceptionally rich source of plant compounds called flavonoids, and especially the powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatorycompound, quercetin. Quercetin is under study as an agent for lowering LDL cholesterol and blood pressure, fighting allergies, reducing inflammation, enhancing muscle growth and function, treating depression, some forms of cancer, and other health conditions.
It is proved that quercetin has antivirus qualities and this fact allows us to use it for preventive actions against many infectious diseases which re viral in nature. When our blood system gets quercetin in needed amounts, it slows down the speed of freeing histamine (Substance that plays a major role in many allergic reactions. Histamine dilates blood vessels and makes the vessel walls abnormally permeable), leukotriene (One of a group of hormones that cause the symptoms of hay fever, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, dermatitis and asthma) and other biologically active substances, thus trigging anti-inflammatory effect.
Also, if you have a surplus, an onion-skin infusion has a long reputation as a softening and smoothing hair rinse. Just run the strained onion-skin broth through freshly washed hair a few times and let it air dry. There’s no residual onion odour.
- A natural home remedy against seborrhea – using onion peels brew (water from boiling a handful of onion peels for 5-10 minutes) for washing your hair will keep your hair dandruff free, healthy and thick.
- A natural home remedy against dry cough- Boil 2 Table spoons of onion peels boil in 2 cups of water on low to medium heat. Then let the brew cool and strain it. Drink ¼ cup of warm brew three times a day, 30 minutes before food.
- A natural home remedy against cystitis- 3 tea spoons of crushed dry onion peels brew in two cups of boiling water, let stand for 30 minutes. In case of acute cystitis drink ¼ of a cup 2 times a day for 5 days. In case of chronic cystitis drink two Table spoons 3-4 times a day for 10 days.
- Tea from onion peels may tone your cardiac activity, boost your immune system, and reduce muscle spasms.
- It also acts as anti-inflammatory natural remedy.
- Brew from onion peels also has anti-septic, expectorating, laxative, diuretic, anti-cancerous characteristics.
- Those who suffer from leg muscle spasms at night should drink a cup of onion peels tea before bedtime and they will be guaranteed a nice night sleep.
- A natural dye for colouring your hair. It will give your hair healthy gold or reddish shade. Boil 2 tablespoon full of onion peels per cup of water approximately 20 minutes, then let it stand for several hours. Strain the brew and use as a rinse every time you wash your hair.
- A natural home remedy against hypertension- make tea from onion peels (just brew onion peels as you would any tea herbs) and drink a cup of onion peels tea every day to lower your blood pressure. This is an effective natural remedy to hypertension without harmful pills. By the way, you also may use garlic peels for brewing tea, as both onion and garlic peels contain several special substances.
- A natural home remedy against sore throat- gargle with onion peels brew several times a day.
- A natural home remedy against stomatitis, periodontitis- Boil three tea spoons of dry onion peels in 16oz of water, let stand for 7-8 hours, strain the brew and rinse your mouth several times a day.
- Use the same solution to rinse a wound- it will clean the wound and aid in healing.
- A natural home remedy against rhinitis of any nature- put 4 Table spoons of crushed dry onion peels into a pot of boiling water and inhale the steam for 3-5 minutes.
- A natural home remedy against amenorrhea (absence of a menstrual period in a woman of reproductive age). Add two or three table spoons of crushed dry onion peels and boil in 1 liter of water for 15 minutes on a slow heat. Let it cool naturally, then strain the brew. Drink ½ of a cup twice a day (in the morning and evening) 30-40 minutes before food.
- Home remedy against hemorrhoids – Boil 4 Table spoons of onion peels on slow heat in 2 liters of milk for 10 minutes. Cool the mixture until warm and strain. Soak the spot with hemorrhoids in a seated bath for 10 minutes.
By Mercy Kukah