Teeth tartar, also called dental calculus, is a crusty deposit that can trap stains on the teeth and cause discoloration. It creates a strong bond that can only be removed by a dental professional. Tartar formation may also make it more difficult to remove new plaque and bacteria. Individuals vary greatly in their susceptibility to plaque and tartar on teeth. For many of us, these deposits build up faster as we age.
It is caused by plaque not removed regularly, and completely. Minerals in the saliva combine with plaque to form crystals that harden into tartar.
Tartar can be yellow or even brown. In addition, since it attracts plaque and the only way to fully remove tartar is through professional cleaning at the dentist, it can contribute to tooth decay, bad breath and serious forms of gum disease.
You can also help prevent and remove tartar yourself with proper brushing of your teeth, flossing, monitoring your diet and also using antiseptic mouthwash after you eat.
Below are ways to remove tartar:
1. Brushing your teeth at least twice a day: it is important to remove plaque by brushing your teeth at least twice a day. Since tartar is caused by plaque building.
2. Using toothpaste with fluoride and tartar control: fluoride is a mineral which strengthen tooth enamel and help repair acid damage. You should make sure the toothpaste you are using contain fluoride and tartar control. Because it helps to destroy plaque, which prevent tartar buildup.
3. Brushing the front, back and chewing surface of your teeth: make sure while brushing your teeth you brush every angle and side of your teeth. Always use toothbrush approved by dental association because any brush approved by them has undergone quality tests.
4. Rinsing your mouth with antiseptic mouthwash after brushing your teeth: antiseptic mouthwash help kill bacteria that form plaque. By using antiseptic mouthwash you are making it harder for plaque to grow and form into tartar.
5. Adding baking soda to your toothpaste at least twice a week: when baking soda is added to toothpaste it performs wonders to your teeth such as whitening the teeth, destroy plaque and fight bad breath.
6. Flossing your teeth at least once a day: plaque build up between our teeth which makes it hard to be removed by only brushing the teeth. Always use floss that are dental registered to remove food particles that are stuck in between your teeth and can’t be removed by just brushing your teeth. With this tartar cant be formed between your teeth.
7. Eating diet rich in raw vegetables:when you eat raw vegetables it actually help clean your teeth. Substitute sugary snacks for veggies because the bacteria that cause plaque love starchy and sugary food.
By: firdausi musa dantsoho