Las Palmas midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo is doubtful for the Super Eagles match against Serbia in London on Tuesday, March 27, after sitting out the team’s first training session on Sunday, March, 25. The former U-23 international was missing in midfield when Nigeria took on Poland as Joel Obi, Ogenyi Onazi, John Ogu and Wilfried Ndidi all made appearances in the 1-0 win on Friday, March, 23.
The Super Eagles Twitter handle revealed that Etebo missed the game against Poland because of injury as a result of which he did not join the rest of his teammates as he may not have recovered from the injury. However, the trio of Junior Ajayi, Gabriel Okechukwu and Mikel Agu who also missed the win at Wrocaw, were part of the practice session on Sunday.
“Our first training session at the Barnet FC Stadium in London went smoothly. New arrivals Junior Ajayi, Gabriel Okechukwu, Mikel Agu were actively involved but Oghenekaro Etebo was on the sidelines,” the Super Eagles handle explained. The Super Eagles will be hoping to replicate the win against Poland when they face another eastern European side, Serbia, at The Hive. Victor Moses’ stroke of brilliance won a penalty for the Gernot Rohr’s side, and the Chelsea man converted the spot-kick with the easiest of finishes. The men in Green will also have friendlies in the coming months against DR Congo in Uyo in May as a senthforth match before playing England and the Czech Republic in June.
Tosin Kehinde makes bold step in playing for Nigeria
Manchester United Tosin Kehinde is set to pledge his allegiance for Nigeria as he was photographed shaking hands with Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr ahead of their London friendly with Serbia. Rohr recently extended open invitations to players abroad who had Nigerian traits, and the United U-23 player has made a bold step in determining his future. Kehinde expressed his gratitude to his Nigerian supporters last month, and felt confident he was close to making his United senior debut.
“It feels good to have that kind of support back home. “I’ve come close on occasion. All I need to do is continue to work hard. “Of course I’d be elated to play at the World Cup. It’s every footballers dream. Playing at any level for Nigeria would bring me pride. But I believe in myself enough to know I can bring something great to the Super Eagles first team,” he said.
Kehinde trained with the United first-team earlier this season and has played 15 times for the Under-23 in the Premier League 2. His strike at Chelsea in September was nominated for the club’s goal of the month competition. Victor Moses converted a penalty kick that handed the Super Eagles a morale boosting 1-0 victory over Poland. Gabriel Okechukwu, Mikel Agu and Junior Ajayi are all expected to make an appearance at The Hive where the Super Eagles will square up against the Serbian national team.
By Mercy Kukah
- Nigeria maintain 52nd position on the latest FIFA ranking
- ALIKO DANGOTE FULFILLED HIS $50,000 PLEDGE FOR SUPER EAGLES AGAINST ALGERIA’S
- AFCON 2019: DANGOTE AND OTEDOLA MAKE FINANCIAL PLEDGE TO SUPER EAGLES AHEAD OF THEIR CLASH WITH ALGERIA
- International Magazine Rates Nigeria’s Jersey Best World Cup Strip
- AKPEYI FEARS LOSING HIS SPOT IN EAGLES
- Ahmed Musa Frees 40 Prisoners, Donates Millions Of Naira
- Chelsea legend Drogba to call it quit on his football career
- ALEX IWOBI, COMPLETES MOVE TO EVERTON FROM ARSENAL
- Five Lessons To Take Into The Argentina Game
- AFCON: NIGERIA VS SOUTH AFRICA A 2-1 WIN
- Plateau United remain top of NPFL standings
- Nigeria Olubayode Olawunmi Breaks Guinness record in the longest marathon reading aloud contest.
- 2019 FIBA World Cup: France, Australia, Spain Argentina battle for final spots
- FIFA strips Maradona off ambassador role
- JOSE MOURINHO: EX-MANCHESTER UNITED MANAGER BREAKS SILENCE.
- ARSENAL TO PLAY FRIENDLY AHEAD CHELSEA CLASH
- Arsenal confirm the signing of Gabonese striker Aubameyang
- Sport News
- Amapakabo, Will Continue As Olympic Eagles Coach, Not Salisu–NFF Chieftain
- Nwosu wins Team Nigeria’s first gold medal
- 100 PLAYERS HAVE REGISTERED FOR THE IBADAN BOVAS GOLF TOURNAMENT
- Nigeria dusts Madagascar in table tennis events
- SPORT NEWS
- NIGERIA WOMEN VOLLEYBALL TEAM QUALIFY FOR THE ALL AFRICAN GAMES 2019
- African Nigerian athletes reject $100 allowance
- 2019 AFCON aftermath: Tunisia part with Giresse
- SPORTS NEWS
- Arsene Wenger returns to football
- 150 ATHLETES WOULD REPRESENT OGUN AT THE 2019 NATIONAL YOUTH GAMES
- SPORTS NEWS.
- MAURIZIO SARRI: CHELSEA MANAGER TAKES BLAME FOR BOURNEMOUTH DEFEAT.
- Neymar may miss Champions League against Real Madrid
- Mourinho plans massive clear-out at Man United, set to spare only 7 players
- Presidential Inauguration
- Prince Harry Announces his Engagement to Meghan Markle
- President Buhari Returns
- Aisha Buhari returns from UK, speaks about President’s health
- Undeniable Facts about Living in Abuja
- We Raped Corpse Of Our Victim, Ate Her Flesh – Ritualists
- CONFIRMED DEAL FOR TOP 6 CLUBS AHEAD OF DEADLINE
- I HAVE NO INTENTION OF LEAVING LIVERPOOL SAYS MOHAMMED SALAH
- ALEX FERGUSON CONGRATULATORY MESSAGE TO RONALDO AFTER WINNING AWARD
- Aderemi Ready for final as Zenith B’ball League resumes
- FIFA World Cup 2022 emblem unveiled
- AM NOT IN CHARGE OF TRANSFER AT TOTTENHAM
- EPL: Solskjaer sets new law for Manchester United players
- PSG STAR SET TO JOIN OLE GUNNAR SOLSKJAER AT MAN UNITED.
- Stylish Fashionistas
- LIVERPOOL 4-0 WIN AGAINST BARCELONA
- MANCHESTER UNITED SET TO SIGN A LONG TERM DEAL WITH ANDREA PEREIRA
- SPORTS NEWS
- SADIO MANE’S REACTION TO LIVERPOOL TEAM-MATE MOHAMED SALAH’S DANCING IS HILARIOUS.
- R9 RONALDO MENTION FIVE PLAYERS HE ENJOY WATCHING
- 25 Quotes Every Entrepreneur Should Know and Live By
- The Teenage Flu
- Inspirational Quotes
- Ghoncheh Ghavami Sentenced Over Bolleyball Game
- Buhari extends vacation, writes National Assembly
- President Buhari meets with Speaker, Senate President and other Law Makers in London
- Popular Nollywood Actress Returns Bride Price After 14 Years of Marriage