Zobo drink is a very nutritious drink and it is cheap. Regular intake of this drink can fight nutritional deficiencies and prevent malnutrition. Some important and vital nutrients provided by zobo drink are carotenes, vitamin C, thiamine, calcium, fat, iron, fiber, phosphorous, riboflavin, and niacin.
All these nutrients boost your health and improve the functions of various tissues, organs, and systems in the body. This drink strengthens the immune system and improves your overall health.
§ 2 cups of dry Zobo leaves
§ Half stick cinnamon
§ Watermelon half
§ 2 big pieces of fresh ginger
§ 1 big very ripe pineapple
§ Enough water
§ Mint leaves
§ Lemon zest
§ 2 big cucumber
Directions for making the Zobo drink
1. Wash the dry Zobo leaves and the mint leaves repeatedly in cold water. Zobo leaves are usually very dusty so make sure you wash off all the dust.
2. Wash, peel and cut the pineapple, cucumber, and watermelon into tiny
Pieces – blend and sieve.
3. Peel, cut and crush the ginger.
4. Put the washed zobo leaves and the mint leaves into a deep pot.
5. Add enough water to cover the contents of the pot.
6. Start cooking at medium to high heat and let it boil for 5 minutes.
7. Add the ginger, cloves, lemon zest. Add more water and keep boiling for at least 30 minutes. This would make the zobo leaves soft.
8. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool down completely.
9. When cool, sieve your zobo to take out the particles of zobo leaves then pour it through a chiffon cloth to remove the remaining particles.
10. Add your sieved cucumber, pineapple, and watermelon juice then any artificial flavours of your choice at this time and stir.
11. Pour into bottles and refrigerate.
12. Serve and Enjoy.
BY: Firdausi Musa Dantsoho