Nigeria has been ranked among top three countries in the world with the largest number of people practising open defecation.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) specialist, Mainga Moono Banda disclosed this yesterday, in a presentation at the opening of a two-day media dialogue organised by UNICEF and EU in partnership with the Federal Ministry of Information in Awka, Anambra State.
Mainga said that from the 2017 MICS survey, over 46 million people still practice Open Defection (ODF) in Nigeria as 33 million of this figure live in the rural areas.
“130 million across the country use unapproved sanitary facilities, more than half live in the rural area, while 45,000 children die annually from diseases caused by poor access to water, sanitation and hygiene,” she said.
She said WASH plays a critical role in improving health, nutrition and hygiene in Nigeria, saying that for Nigeria to meet SDG goal 6 on water and sanitation by 2030, provision of safe and adequate hygiene that would curb issues of water borNe and sanitation related diseases must be tackled.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, at the workshop, stressed the importance of WASH in the life of a child.
Culled From Daily Trust.
By Mercy Kukah
- KITCHEN HYGIENE AND FOOD SAFETY
- UNICEF pledges $3.3b for children affected by conflicts in 2017
- Ways to care for your feet.
- Personal hygiene habits
- The Crime We Are All Guilty Of: Child Abuse
- Fitfam! Stage 1, nutrition
- NUTRITION AND YOUR CHILD
- IMPORTANCE OF FRUITS IN GROWING CHILDREN’S DAILY DIET
- THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT YOUR TOOTHBRUSH
- SHOCK AS 39-YEAR-OLD MAN DIVORCES WIFE FOR SEX DOLL IN BOTSWANA
- Family Of Five, Family Friend Dies After Moving Into New Apartment
- Important Facts You Should Know About June 12
- POLICE NAB A 62 YEAR OLD MAN FOR FINGERING A 10 YEAR OLD GIRL FOR HIS SEXUAL PLEAUSRE
- How to stay healthy this rainy season
- Friend Of Lady Who Allegedly Jumped From 3rd Mainland Bridge Finally Speaks
- Legendary Nigerian Musician Ras Kimono is Dead
- How ‘Amala’ killed four family members in Kwara
- Babatunde Osotimehin, Former Minister of Health Is Dead
- How to maintain a good Personal Hygiene during Menstrual Period
- FIVE GIRLS, TEN YAHOO BOYS, ARRESTED IN PORT HARCOURT
- PASTOR ARRESTED FOR SEXUALLY HARASSING HIS HOUSE MAID.
- We Raped Corpse Of Our Victim, Ate Her Flesh – Ritualists
- Girl Buried Two Years Ago Allegedly Returns Home
- 55-Year-Old Woman Throws Grandchild Into Well To Teach Daughter-In-Law Lesson
- President Buhari Returns
- Super Foods – Super Health
- A 61 YEAR-OLD MAN CUT’S OFF THE HAND OF AN 11 YEAR-OLD BOY
- Poor hygiene destroys health
- The Many Benefits of Ewedu (Jute) Leaf
- Fruits that can cause death in children when eaten together
- 5 Life Hacks You Can Do Now To Help Prevent a Heart Attack
- Amazing Natural Wonders in Nigeria
- Body Hygiene- Your Way to living Healthy
- Body Hygeniene
- Aisha Buhari returns from UK, speaks about President’s health
- Health benefits of white star apple
- WATER FACTS FOR KIDS
- Interracial Relationships
- DRAMA AS MOTHER SELLS BABY TO BUY PHONE IN EDO STATE.
- SCHOOL BUILDING COLLAPSED LIVING 10 PERSONS DEAD IN LAGOS.
- GROOM DIES, BRIDE WOUNDED AFTER WEDDING GIFT EXPLODES IN INDIA
- THE BOY WHO SCORED HIGHEST IN THE 2019 JAMB/UTME WOULD NOT BE ADMITTED.
- A 22-YEAR-OLD ELECTROCUTED TO DEATH
- STEP MOTHER BURN BOY’S FACE
- A SERGEANT DECLARED WANTED OVER THE DEATH OF A 21 YEAR OLD
- JEALOUS BOYFRIEND KILLS GIRLFRIEND IN YOBE STATE
- PASTOR RAPES CHURCH MEMBER’S TWIN DAUGHTERS IN LAGOS.
- WHY I HAD SEX WITH MY MOTHER’S CORPS, SAID AN 18 YEAR OLD TEENAGER.
- TWO NUNS STOLE $500,000 FROM A CHURCH DONATION ACCOUNT.
- MAN CUTS OFF COUSIN’S PENIS IN NIGER STATE
- MAN SEALS BABY’S EYES,MOUTH WITH SUPER GLUE
- 2 NIGERIAN WOMEN REPORTEDLY KILLED BY THEIR EMPLOYERS IN SAUDI ARABIA.
- Benefits of Chewing Gum
- Elder Statesman Maitama Sule is Dead
- Maitama Sule: Kano declares work-free day
- What is Dry Drowning?