The Black Soap (Sabulun-Solo): A Refreshing Treat for Healthy Skin
The Black soap, (Sabulun solo) is a traditional soap which has been in existence for ages. It is a traditional medicated soap mostly used by the many tribes in Nigeria including the Hausa, Yoruba, Nupe, Gbagi and others. This traditional soap is used against skin infection. It keeps the skin in a healthy condition. It also helps to cure or treat such ailments as rashes, pimples, eczema, acne and other skin diseases. Bathing with Sabulun-Solo could be interesting, but most people prefer the foreign soaps, perhaps because of the beautiful pictures of pretty girls on the pack of the soaps. But what most people fail to understand is that the traditional soap does more repair to our skin than the processed chemicals and foreign soaps. The Sabulun-Solo is also referred to as Black Soap; it is known to have skin nourishing benefits due to an abundance of antioxidants. I know that when you start bathing with this traditional soap, your skin becomes softer and healthier than before. Some people add a little lime juice to the soap to tone their skins.
There are different varieties of this black soap. Most black soaps are made with a blend of plantain skin, cocoa pod powder, tropical honey, and virgin coconut oil. Some people use the ashes of palm bunch and palm oil or palm kernel oil. Some additional ingredients, depending on the makers of the soap, could be Shea butter or cocoa butter for extra moisturizing properties. (Though, some types of black soap are more potent than others and can dry the skin easily).
Sabulun-Solo is a versatile skincare product that offers multiple benefits to the skin, and the good part is that it is very cheap and affordable. It is mostly hand-crafted by village women in Nigeria who make the soap for themselves and to support their families economically. The black soap has been used for generations as a natural remedy for the treatment of skin problems. The soap is actually dark brown in colour, and not exactly black as people think. It contains natural Vitamins A and E, iron and an all-natural cleanser. For centuries, Ghanaians and Nigerians have used this black soap to help relieve and prevent skin problems.
How the soap benefits the skin
1. Protects against Aging: Antioxidants in black soap protect the skin from free radicals damage which is a major cause of premature skin aging, wrinkles and facial lines.
2. Tones the skin: The soap helps firm up the muscles, tones and improves the texture for a more supple and glowing skin.
3. Fades Discoloration: It helps even out and fades brown spots and discolorations. People who suffer from skin discolouration can use this amazing soap to even out their complexion.
4. Reduces Skin Irritations: It helps reduce inflammation and skin irritations. It is soothing on dry and irritated skin; relieves rashes and removes red and dark patches.
5. Helps to Heal Skin Diseases: It is effective in the treatment of skin conditions like acne, eczema, blackheads and ringworms.
6. Serves as a Deep Cleanser: The soap has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and is great for deep pore cleansing. It is also effective at removing makeup because of the oils and butters. contained in it. It also contains a high amount of glycerine, which absorbs moisture from the air and literally deposits it into the skin, making the skin soft and supple.
7. It’s an Effective Exfoliator: The ashes contained in black soap provide exfoliating properties to remove dead skin cells and thereby improve fine lines, soften and rejuvenate rough skin.
I suggest that sabulun solo is a very good remedy for any type of skin problem that most young people have today. Therefore, it is advisable to go for a more traditional soap that contains no artificial or skin damaging chemical for a more beautiful, softer and glowing skin, than those sold at big super markets which in most cases destroy our skin.