It is not necessary to spend a lot of money in order to keep your hair healthy and beautiful. No one likes dandruff in the hair. Dandruff is a common scalp condition marked by white flakes and itching. A possible cause is yeast-like fungus called malassezia, also known as pityrosporum. Malassezia is normally found on the scalp without causing problems. However, if it grows unchecked, possibly due to hormone imbalances, stress, immune suppression, infrequent shampooing, illness, or increased oil production, there is mild inflammation that produces dead skin cells. The dead cells mix with oil and clump together making them appear white and flaky.
Dandruff can also be caused by change of weather, or lots of stress. You can avoid stress, both emotional and physical. Take proper rest and pay attention to nutritious diet.
When treating or trying to prevent dandruff, bear in mind that it has no permanent cure. Development of dandruff is, in fact, due to a tendency of your scalp. Even if you clear it, after sometime, when there is favorable condition for its development, it might reoccur. So, you have to make sure that you follow a regular cleaning routine and take care of your hair and body.
Tips to Prevent Dandruff
- Choose a dandruff fighting shampoo that is mild but contains active ingredients that help get rid of dandruff.
- Wash your hair regularly. Some people need to shampoo daily while others wash their hair twice or thrice in a week.
- Make sure you massage your scalp gently while shampooing. Do not scrub or rub roughly even if you feel irritation on your scalp.
- Avoid using styling materials that increase dandruff in your hair. Also keep yourself away from stress as much as possible. Stress increases dandruff.
- If are applying natural products, give some time in observing the results because natural treatments take time.
Homemade Remedies for Dandruff
- Mix 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1/4 cup of water. Pour this mixture into a spray bottle and spray it onto your hair and scalp, being careful to avoid the eye and the ear.
- Wrap your head in a towel. After 15minutes to an hour, remove the towel and wash your hair. This is generally done once to twice a week. You will get good results.
- Using cotton balls apply lukewarm coconut oil on your scalp and leave it overnight. In the morning, apply lemon juice on it. Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash your hair as usual.
- Mix olive oil with almond oil and then massage it gently on your scalp. Leave it for five minutes and then wash your hair.
- Grind fenugreek seeds soaked overnight into paste and apply. Leave for 30 minutes and then wash your hair.
- Aloe Vera is also great for soothing itching skin. This is because it has endless medicinal properties. Massage it on your hair, leave for 15 minutes and then wash as usual.
By: Mercy Kukah