Stretch marks are long, narrow streaks, stripes, or lines that develop on the skin. They occur when the skin is suddenly stretched and are extremely common.
Anyone can develop stretch marks, although they tend to affect more women than men.
If you develop stretch marks, you are most likely to do so during:
Growth spurts that happen in puberty, pregnancy, rapid weight loss or gain, and weight training when you have rapid muscle growth.
When stretch marks appear they tend to be red, purple, pink, reddish, brown or dark brown depending on your skin complexion. Early stretch marks are itchy.
The most common areas affected include the Abdomen, breasts, hips, flank, buttocks, and thighs. Stretch marks are not physically dangerous but can cause problems with self-image and anxiety. For some people, stretch marks are a significant cosmetic concern that can affect day-to-day living.
Below are simple and easy ways to get rid of those irritating stretch marks:
1. Using stretch marks cream, gel and lotion: using stretch mark products on early stretch marks help a lot. While applying the product, massage the product into your stretch marks. Apply the product daily to get good results.
2. Using home remedies: using natural home remedies like Coconut oil, Aloe Vera, Shea butter, help get rid of stretch marks.
Stretch marks cannot always be prevented. However, the following steps may help to reduce the risk:
1. Maintain a healthy weight.
2. Avoid yo-yo dieting.
3. Eat a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals. Consuming a suitable amount of vitamins A and C can help support the skin, as well as the minerals zinc and silicon.
4. Aim for slow and gradual weight gain during pregnancy.
5. Drink six to eight glasses of water every day.
BY: FIRDAUSI MUSA DANTSOHO