Virtually every relationship starts out the same way, you can’t keep your hands off each other, you get excited at the mere thought of them, you love all of the same things, and you never have disagreements. You can spend 2 to 3 hours on the phone, talking and laughing, woke up in the morning and the first thing that comes to your mind is your spouse. Heard a beep on your phone and you check and voila it is your lover, telling you he or she missed you and love you. It will go on and on. Then suddenly it all changes, you no longer spend hours talking on phone every day, you crave space, and you realize that not everything is perfect. Yes, the honeymoon is over. Anyone that has been in a long term relationship knows that the spark can fade. This is perfectly normal; after all, it’s unrealistic to expect it to be as exciting as it was in the beginning. This doesn’t mean that the fun and spark should die entirely though. Here are some tips and tricks on how to keep the romance alive in your relationship.
1. Put your phone down: Being present when you’re spending time with your partner can make a world of a difference to a relationship. Next time you are together, put your phones away and really appreciate being in each other’s company. The disconnection from the outside world will leave room for an even greater connection between the two of you.
2. Make time for a date night: No matter how busy your schedules are, it is important to always make room for an outing, especially at night. It is all too easy to become complacent in a relationship and fall into a routine where you neglect to make the relationship exciting. Dating should be a part of every relationship no matter how long you have been together. So try setting aside at least one day a month where you rediscover the fun of dating with your partner.
3. Be adventurous together: Trying something new together is a great way to keep the spark alive. Whether you explore a new hobby, or travel to a new destination, it is something that you can look forward to together.
4. Surprise each other: Bring her gifts once in while without reason or write a sweet note for him and tuck it away into his briefcase or car so that he stumbles upon it when he least expects . Although flowers and sweet notes may not seem like huge gestures, it will put a big smile on your partner’s face and remind them just how lucky they are to be in such a loving relationship.
6. Appreciate one another: Show your partner you’re grateful for them by verbally expressing what you love about them as frequently as you can. By showing your love and appreciation through words and actions, it will also constantly remind you why you fell in love with them in the first place.
7. Miss each other: It’s perfectly OK to go on a trip with your friends or do girls’ or boys’ night to give each other the space and opportunity to miss each other. Time apart is a healthy element of a relationship and will leave you wanting more of them.
8. Have fun together: Most importantly, never forget to have fun with each other. Goof around, playfully tease one another, go out with all of your friends, and just enjoy each other’s company. In a solid relationship your partner will always be your best friend, so it’s important not to neglect that.
5. Don’t stop kissing: Remember kissing? It’s that thing that you used to not be able to get enough of. It’s incredibly important to not let kissing go flying out of you relationship. Take the time and effort to plant a mad push on your loved one every day. It’s such a simple technique that can do wonders in regards to keeping the intimacy alive, as well as making each other feel desirable.
6. Laugh more often: Laughing is essential to a healthy relationship. Your partner is supposed to be your best friend; if you can’t have fun and a good laugh with them, then something is seriously wrong. Take the time to rediscover your shared sense of humor.
7. Play dress up: There is nothing wrong with dressing up every now and then. It’s a healthy expression of your sexuality and can be a lot of fun. If you know that your partner has a particular fetish, interest, or kink, indulge in it for a night. He will be thrilled and will more than likely be willing to do the same for you.
8. Be honest: The above isn’t possible without being honest with your partner. If there’s something that you enjoy, whether it be in or out of the bedroom, share it with him or her. If you don’t feel like you can be honest about those kinds of things, you need to ask yourself why.
9. Invest in your relationship: In our busy modern world it can be incredibly easy to stop investing time in your relationship and let it fall into a rut. As with anything, relationships need to be nurtured and encouraged, particularly when they’re long term. Think about it: a relationship that spans years and decades will not stay the same the entire time. A million different things can change during that time, including the people involved. Therefore, it makes sense that time needs to always be taken to keep it healthy, interesting, fun and loving.
10. Don’t argue: Argument is not communication, rather it is noise. Shouting on each other will create problems in your relationship; the best thing to do is to avoid it even when you know that you are not the one at fault. Just say “I am sorry dear, let’s just forget about this issue”.